Tuesday, June 10, 2008

VF Daily logo

how to get 10,000 kids to add the Vanity Fair Facebook page

Bill Bradley

June 9, 2008

At the end of my first post, last Monday, I asked readers to suggest ways that I could be more lame and attract more fans to the Vanity Fair Facebook page. (If you missed the last post, here’s the deal: my boss has given me until August 5 to collect 10,000 fans on Facebook.) Since then, I’ve received numerous responses. The following are some of my favorites:

• “Bill, it’s time for some talk shows—you need to send out a press kit and get some coverage! Hey Oprah could attract millions, use those VF connections! Whats 10K—make it a million! Get a promotion!”

• “Any chance we can get Waverly reservations by doing this?”

• “This can’t be true, can it? 10K people in three months is insane. And without contests or giveaways?!? Better start taking pics with your shirt off then my friend. Every 1K people who sign on guarantees that you take an article of clothing off.”

This last piece of advice brings up a sinister yet inescapable aspect of Facebook: it is a virtual network full of strangers. I am forever indebted to this person for becoming a fan, and I don’t exactly disagree with what he’s saying. Maybe a shirtless, fiercely white editorial assistant really would bring people to VF.com, if only for a cheap laugh. Nonetheless, it’s still alarming to be told by a complete stranger to take provocative photos of oneself and circulate them on the Internet. It’s not the kind of recommendation you’d make in person or on a business call. Regardless, this man and I are now friends.

Most people (70.73 percent, according to a Facebook poll!) seemed to think that an appearance on Oprah would be the surest way to attract more fans. And while that isn’t out of the question, I’m afraid she’s awfully busy with her book club, the upcoming election, and her sideline of condemning memoirists. That said, I’d certainly welcome the chance to sit on her famed couch and tell the world (Oprah fans) to join my cause. If anyone reading this works in some capacity for or with Oprah, please forward.

Look out for more updates (including video!) this week. And, again, please join here.