Tuesday, January 02, 2007

My primary post production workspace

Here's where all the RAW crunching gets done.

For those of you who are tech-heads, I'll list the specs:

Quad G5/4GB/750GBx2/2x30" (right), Dual G5/3GB/750GBx2/1x30" (left,upper)/G4-1.33/120GB/2GB/17" (left, lower).

For my uber geek friends -- center lower - Sony wireless 15" tv; Sonos wireless remote; and about 6TB of portable drives, oh, and the two G5's are connected via GigE so they share drives and data in as near real time as possible, and there are six CF card readers, three FW400 Lexar's, two FW800 Sandisk's, and one USB2 Sandisk - sweet for the redundant ingest of up to 24GB of images (with 4GB cards) unattended, meaning I can go to sleep after starting the ingest!

The screensaver is 3D Matrix, which Apple hightlighted on their site awhile back...

www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/icons_screensavers/the3dma...

And about the phone, if I don't put it in right, it becomes a missle downwards slamming into the keyboard. So far, no missing keys as a result.

The phone stays up with the little nub that holds it up when on a wall, but this is the steepest angle it can handle, as just a few more degrees and it won't stay up.

Yes, 3x30, the problem is, I bought them over a year ago when they cost more than they should have, and in less than a year they will migrate to non-color-critical workstations and be replaced.

Oh, and I use this great little free app called Teleport
( www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22339 ) that lets you hop between two cpu's with one keyboard and mouse, and xmits the clipboard between the too as well. So, I can just mouse up to the upper left screen and to the edge, and then the mouse hops right over to the upper screen/cpu along with my clipboard.

I use the same thing on my other desk with 2x20's as well. It's an ingenious little application! What's great is doing Photoshop Camera Raw edits on the lower two screens, making sure the xmp sidecars get written as a distributed cache, then re-opening the folder on the upper screen/cpu with all the corrections done on the lower machine and then letting the upper machine crunch through the Raw->DNG conversions!

Lastly, in the upper right corner is my XM Satellite Radio that plugs into the Sonos system so we get commercial free music in the office. Everyone should have XMSR!